Labels

Sunday, January 25, 2015

I Don't Care How Old They Are...

...when a boy is sick he wants his momma (or wife if he has one) to take care of them!

My husbands phone rings at 2:30 A.M.  I was out.  In my subconscious state I thought it was his alarm clock, until I hear him talking to it.  Then I was like no wait, he's on the phone, (or else he's crazy and trying to answer his alarm clock.)  It took a moment to register, then fear kicks in.  That's what happens when your phone rings in the middle of the night.  It usually means someone died or is about to die...or some other SERIOUS emergency. 

I hear my husband say, "I'll be there in a few minutes." ..."No I'm leaving right now, as soon as I get dressed."

By this time I am sitting up on the bed.  He hangs up the phone and says, "Firefighter's sick.  I need to go pick him up."  Firefighter was at work.  He was doing an overnight 16 hour shift.  He had awakened dizzy, light headed, throwing up and feeling like he was going to pass out.  I said, "Well I will go with you so we can go ahead and  bring his car back."  So at 2:30 A.M. we throw on whatever clothes we can find and head out the door.  We get there and he is about to throw up again.  He heads to the bathroom and waves for me to follow him.  I do.  We get in there and well lets just say you know he's sick if he says, "Please don't leave me.  I feel like I'm going to pass out."  (but that's what a mother does.  She is there for you at your best...and your worst.  She would have it no other way.)

Well, that was the beginning of a LOOONNNGGG night.  For him and I both!  This virus is violent and hateful!  He was throwing up every 15-20 minutes for 3 hours!  He laid on the couch, I was on the loveseat....praying!  I would try to get him to drink some peppermint tea, or anything really, just because I think it's easier to have something to throw up than to just dry heave.  He couldn't do it.  So I kept watching the poor guy dry heave.  There is something about a mother watching her child be sick.  I don't care how old they are, it breaks your heart...esp. when there is nothing you can do for them except rub their back, get cool wash cloths, wipe their face, bring them pillows, blankets, water, empty the "puke bucket"...give them love. 

As I do all these things I wonder, How in the world could a mother kill or seriously hurt her child on purpose?  I can't stand to see him in this pain of just having a stomach virus.

After 3 hours he had about an hour break.  That was the last time he threw up.  About 6:00.  I still laid there until about 8:00.  I thought, I better go see if the others are going to go to church.  "yes, are you?"  I said, "there is no way I am leaving him here by himself."  I'm thinking what if he passed out?  What if he needs me to get him something?  Besides, I've been up all night long there is no way I could make it through church.  So here I stayed...and slept.  We both slept.  We are both feeling better, me somewhat rested and he is calmer.  He is sore from dry heaving and just laying.  Asking for Gatorade.  His dad will bring him some home.

As a mother, yes, I hate when my kids are sick, but I will stay up all night and make sure they are comfortable.  Or stay close by them in case they need anything.  And I'm reminded...If I love my child(ren) that much, how much more God loves me...and them.  When I worry about "things" and wonder what is going to happen...I need to just remember God is right there, he is close by in case I need anything.  He will be right there, ready to give us whatever it is we need.  No matter how old we are...we need God to take care of us...all the time!

(Now hopefully this hateful thing doesn't think it needs to go through everyone of us.)

Lessons of,


No comments:

Post a Comment